02 Jul California Motorcyclists Beware
Almost everyone is cautioned – and sometimes abundantly so – about the dangers of motorcycles once they announce that they are either going to start riding them, or that they have started. A word of caution can go a long way, and in some cases, it is to be expected. But what is it about motorcycles that causes people to panic over the safety of their loved ones? Let’s talk about it.
The Mental and Physical Demands of Riding a Motorcycle
According to the RideApart website, driving a motorcycle takes a lot more out of a person than simply driving a car. It requires a lot more mental focus and clarity. The margins for error are so small when they are compared to driving just about anything with four wheels. Also, riding a motorcycle demands more from a person physically as well. If something goes wrong, the consequences can quickly become disastrous.
Excellent Training and Responsible Use Often Isn’t Enough
Anyone who is even considering driving a motorcycle should take the time to get enough training. It isn’t enough to learn what is needed to pass the road test. Taking courses on defensive driving and utilizing other types of training can actually be life-saving. In addition, driving the motorcycle responsibly is an absolute must. The driver must always adhere to the rules of the road and use extreme caution at all times.
But even the best and most mature motorcyclists are subject to the other drivers on the road. With this type of vehicle, the driver and the rider (if there is one) are completely exposed. In the event of an accident, it could be fatal for them. Motorcyclists need to keep in mind the fact that exercising alertness is absolutely critical in order for them to stay safe on the road.
Road Conditions Carry More of an Impact for Motorcycles
Most automobile drivers understand the dangers that the weather and environment can have while they are driving. There are risks associated with motorcycling as well; but they are much more concerning. For example:
- Over time, roads collect oils. When it rains, those oils are brought to the surface, which is something that most people are not worried about. But for motorcycles, that oil can make the roads extremely slippery, which can lead to accidents.
- Potholes can be a big problem for motorcyclists and hitting one that is too deep can easily lead to accidents.
- Riding a motorcycle in icy weather is even more dangerous due to the salt on the roads. That salt can cause major problems with traction for the motorcyclist.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics in California
The statistics certainly do not lie when it comes to highlighting the dangers of motorcycles. Some sources report that:
- Of all 50 states, California ranks in the top 15 of those with the most motorcycle fatalities.
- In 2016, more than 15% of all motor vehicle accident deaths were motorcyclists.
- There were 566 of them who were killed that year.
- That number increased from 2015 when there were 494 deaths.
- In addition, there were more than 14,000 motorcyclists who were injured in accidents as well.
How to Minimize the Dangers of Motorcycles
Fortunately, you do not have to swear off motorcycles altogether. There are some things you can do to minimize your risks and stay as safe as possible. For instance, you can:
- Start with a motorcycle that is a good fit for your skill level.
- When you ride, assume that the cars around you cannot see you. It will cause you to stay cautious and make decisions more carefully.
- Always wear the proper gear, including high visibility products if you will be riding at night.
What to do if You are in a Motorcycle Accident
We hope that you will take these words to heart and stay safe as you embark on your motorcycle adventures. But accidents do happen, and motorcyclists are often the victims. If you are in an accident, it is so critical to work with an attorney that has experience in this area of personal injury law.
We are here to help you get the compensation you deserve. Please contact us right away.
Our years of experience have taught us that the most seemingly inconsequential detail may prove to be the one key point that has the biggest impact on proof of liability. We seek results for our clients and are meticulous in finding answers.
We investigate the circumstances surrounding each accident, which may involve the following:
- visiting the scene
- examining reports
- interviewing witnesses
- analyzing mechanical parts
- examining road construction and conditions
Insurance Company Negotiation
The last thing you need is the added frustration involved in trying to communicate with the insurance company after the devastation of a motorcycle accident. You’re weakened and vulnerable position creates an unfair advantage for the insurance adjuster whose job it is to offer you the lowest possible settlement.
A motorcycle accident more often than not results in catastrophic consequences. The damages include immediate personal injuries as well as far-reaching and long-term financial obligations. The skilled RA & Associates attorney who represents you puts razor-sharp negotiating expertise to work by speaking with the adjuster in your stead. We aggressively pursue the maximum compensation available and seek the highest equitable remuneration for each aspect of your life that the accident has touched.
- Medical Expenses
- Lost Wages and Earnings
- Out-of-Pocket Expenses
- Property Damages
- Pain and Suffering
- Mental Anguish
- Permanent Disability
- Loss of Consortium
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life
When all other attempts at negotiation have been exhausted, the highly-qualified and skilled attorneys at RA & Associates are prepared to emphatically represent your rights at trial.
RA & Associates: Your Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
If you or your loved one has been involved in a motorcycle accident and suffered physical, emotional, and financial hardship, you may qualify for compensation. It’s in your best interest to seek counsel as soon as possible to understand your legal rights. Generally speaking, California has a two-year statute of limitations from the date of your accident to file a claim. There are some exceptions, which a qualified attorney will be able to discuss with you.
Contact RA & Associates at (888) 417-1080, 24/7, to arrange for a free initial consultation.