Sometimes they are not caused by driver negligence, but by other factors like poorly designed or maintained highways, street and/or freeways and/or poor lighting.
Bicyclists have rights and must follow regulations of the road. Under California Vehicle Code:
- Section 21200: Bicyclists can ride on the street except on freeways and bridges where biking is not permitted. This regulation also requires all cyclists to obey the same rules and laws as motorists, including stopping at red lights and stop signs.
- Section 21202: Bicyclists must stick to the rightmost side of the lane unless passing a vehicle or making a left turn.
- Section 21650: Bicyclists can leave the right side of the lane to go around construction zones or to move around slow-moving traffic.
- Section 21804: Bicyclists must yield to traffic before entering the roadway.
- Many bicyclists continue to get hurt or killed every day even though these laws are in place.
In order to win a bicycle accident case against the liable party, you will have to verify that their negligence, recklessness, or willful action directly caused your injuries and/or losses. Many bicycle accident victims don’t seek an attorney because they feel that they cannot negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company. This is not the case!